A Little about Sheriff Nienhuis
Sheriff Al Nienhuis began his full time law enforcement career in 1989 as a Special Agent in the Clearwater District with the State of Florida, Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco (AB&T). During his tenure in Clearwater, Sheriff Nienhuis was promoted to sergeant. About two years after making sergeant, he was promoted to lieutenant (the district commander) in Sarasota. After only a year and a half in Sarasota, he was promoted to captain in charge of the Fort Myers District. He spent three years in Fort Myers before leaving in January 2001 to serve as the Second-in-command of the Pasco County Sheriff's Office, where he served for 10 years.
In December 2010, he was appointed as Hernando County Sheriff by the Governor (he took office on January 1, 2011). He was elected in 2012 and ran unopposed in 2016.
Sheriff Nienhuis holds a Bachelor's Degree in Business Management from the University of South Florida, and also completed his Master's in Business Administration (MBA) at USF in the spring 2011. His concentrations for his MBA were Management Information Systems and Business Management.
Sheriff Nienhuis also has over 1500 hours of advanced and specialized training, including being a graduate of the prestigious FBI National Academy (Class 197) in Quantico, VA and the National Sheriffs Institute (Colorado).
Sheriff Al Nienhuis also is (and has been) actively involved in the community and has served or currently serves on:
Past Professional and Community Affiliations included:
- Hernando County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Florida Sheriff’s Ranches Enterprises Board of Directors (Past Chair)
- Dawn Center Board of Directors (Past Chair)
- Arc Nature Coast Board of Directors
- Youth and Family Alternatives Board of Directors
- The FBI National Academy Associates
- The Advisory Board for the Pasco County Salvation Army
- Florida Sheriff’s Association Management Training Committee
- Member of the Circuit 6 Juvenile Justice Board
- Chairman of the Pasco Sheriff’s Charities, Inc.
- Pasco Hernando Community College Criminal Justice Technical Advisory Committee